Sunday, 21 October 2012

Upholstered chairs in my own fabric designs

I've finally finished upholstering my chairs in my own fabric. Horray! I wanted to document the process so here it is...

Step 1. Bought old chairs off ebay. (The chairs were in pretty bad condition! The seats were mouldy and the chairs themselves covered in old varnish that was flaking away.)  
Step 2. Striped chair seats completely back to frame and re-upholstered. I also sanded back the wood/removed old varnish from the chair frame and re-treated the wood with furniture wax.
Step 3. I chose a original photo of mine that inspired me to create a drawing/design. (These boats were from my holiday in Italy last year).
Step 4. Created a drawing/ design /repeat pattern from the photo.
Step 5. At this stage I ordered a sample of my design (above) in fabric to check what the colours would look like when they were printed on fabric. I also ordered different samples of some of my old designs as this point as well as I wanted to upholster my two chairs in two different designs. I placed these on top of my chairs to see what they would look like/help me decide which fabrics to order.


Step 6. I then chose which designs to order and ordered my fabric. (The exciting bit!)
Step 7. THE FINAL STAGE. HORRAY! 
The last thing to do was to add my fabric to the top of the chairs.

Step 8. Finished. (Have a sit down and a cup of tea!)



BEFORE AND AFTER.
 And here's a before and after just for fun...


No comments:

Post a Comment