Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Embroidered and patchworked map of the world. (A work in progress).

Sometimes I get an idea that sticks in my head and won't go away until eventually I just have to do it no matter how crazy/ambitious that idea is. This post is about is one of those ideas.

About a year ago now I had the idea of appliqueing/ embroidering a map of the whole world! My idea was to cut out every country in a different fabric and stitch each one down onto a patchwork background. The idea mainly came from a desire of mine to have a map of the world up at home but without having to display a slightly boring flat paper map, most of which often look like they belong on a school classroom wall. I wanted a piece of art up instead, in particular a textured, patterned piece of art with the potential to be personalised! Well anyway, the time has finally come where I have started that project and below are pictures of my progress.

After I have finally finished this mammoth of a personal project I have some other smaller/simpler map- related projects up my sleeve; something that will be a lot more commercial and personalised to order, watch this space!
















No comments:

Post a Comment